Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Workout: Introduction to the Kettlebell

I was recently introduced to a kettlebell workout by Mac Cassity. Mac is a Crossfit Certified Kettlebell Instructor. The kettlebell is a tool to consider in your arsenal to acquire all around fitness. If used properly, the kettlebell can yield results in strength, strength endurance, flexibility and work capacity. In our session, Mac taught me the following exercises:

Two handed Kettlebell Swing to eye level (Russian Swing)
Two handed swing straight overhead (American Swing)
One handed swing
Cleans
Clean & Press
Snatch (from dead and from swing)
Turkish Get Up

At the conclusion of the teaching session, I went through the following introductory workout with a 40 lb. kettlebell.

1. 20 two handed swings
2. 5 pull ups
3. 20 swings single hand
4. 5 ring dips
5. 20 cleans (10 each side)
6. 5 pull ups
7. 20 Clean & Press (10 each side)
8. 5 pull ups
9. 10 push ups on rings

The circuit was short in duration but could have been repeated if time allowed. This workout fits my philosophy for the 'busy executive' because it is brief but intense. The reduction in rest periods also places a greater demand on the cardiovascular system which will increase the overall fitness level.

Please send me your thoughts on the kettlebell as well as any workouts that I can add to my selection.

1 comment:

Dan Cenidoza said...

Nice introductory workout! I think you're going to find a lot of enjoyment (as well as results) from kettlebell training.

Until your technique is near perfect, I would suggest *practicing* the more skilled exercises (cleans, snatches, TGU, etc.) at the beginning of a workout while you're fresh and then going hard with the less technical movements (swings, front squats, presses). I usually like to finish my workouts with some time of swing test; either 100 reps or 5 minutes, that is, time how long it takes to get 100 or when you can do 100 non-stop, see how many you can do in 5 minutes.

-Dan Cenidoza